Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Wonderful World of Google

Early on in Learning 2.0, a co-worker let me in on the wonders of iGoogle and suggested I create my own iGoogle page before tackling the other "things." I followed her advice and have been loving iGoogle ever since. It's great to have a home page that is customizable and puts all my most-used web tools at my fingertips on any computer. While in Michigan for the holidays, I checked my rss reader, gmail, and calendar - and only had to use one log in and one webpage - wonderful!

My iGoogle page is fairly "boring" - calendar, rss reader, to do list, bookmarks, etc. One of these days I'll get around to adding a tab for fun stuff (cartoons and photos of the day, a spider that randomly walks across the screen), but for now I'm sticking to the basics. I especially appreciate Google Calendar and the ease with which I can add and color-code events. I've abandoned all my paper calendars and even the planner I used to keep in my purse in favor of updating my life online. Since I'm almost always near a computer, it's easier to log on and check my Google Calendar than it would be to hope that my hard copies are all up to date.

I haven't fallen quite as quickly for other Google features. I'm sure they're great, but I just haven't had a use for them yet. I think I would enjoy using gmail, but I've been using Outlook for so long, and I'm just not ready to make the switch. I attempted to house my Mock Sibert booklist in Google Docs, but found it to be slow and unfamiliar. At this point, the time it would take to get used to a new interface just isn't worth the convenience of having the list online. Maybe next year.

No comments: