Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The First Step is Always the Hardest

I've had a difficult time getting started on the 21 Things for a number of reasons, but mainly because of my "by the books" personality. Truth be told, I've already explored a few items on the list, but I just can't bring myself to officially do them out of order.

Now that I've taken the time to view the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners (thing #1), I can blog about it here and hopefully get the ball rolling.

This hooplah of lifelong learning is overdone, if you ask me. In nearly all of my graduate classes so far, we've had some discussion about being lifelong learners. Part of me just wants to say, give it a rest...of course we are all lifelong learners. It would be nearly impossible to go through an entire day without learning something new.

I did, however, appreciate the approach of this presentation: to guide us to be highly successful lifelong learners (instead of just the average kind). The 7 1/2 habits are practical and purposeful, and I can see how keeping them in mind will help me as I explore the 2.0 world.

As far as learning styles go, I am a combination visual and kinesthetic learner. I often like to read about and see new processes before I try them out, and I certainly retain the information best when I can try them out first hand.

No comments: